Posted to rec.woodworking
theedudenator theedudenator is offline

Default Suggestions to improve my swing set frame design

On May 28, 6:59*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 28, 12:42*am, theedudenator wrote:

I am going to build a swing set for the kids.
I want 4 spots for swings with ample room.
I am working with 2 different books on swing set design.

My frame will be 2 vertical 4x4 posts that sandwich my main beam.
Then 2 4x4 posts will be at 30 degree angles to create an A frame on
the ends.

The center beam will be 18 foot long. *It will be 3 2x6's bolted
together *(to make a 6x6 beam)
This beam will be close to 10 foot off the ground

I am really not sure about the vertical 4x4's and the angled ends.

I am not really sure how to do a beefy a frame design

I just built one for my princesses. *A couple of thoughts...

18' is too long if you plan on having no center support. *Even 3 2x6s
will flex and wobble with a swing in the middle and a 60lb kid
swinging on it. *And they keep growing...

My 'beam' is 2 2x6s screwed together from both sides with 2 3/4" deck
screws. *This barely flexes with an 8' span. *The point is that it
does flex at only 8'.

I think the vertical posts are overkill and won't do much. *On the A-
frame side of mine I used 2x6s at an angle with a plumb cut to hold
the 'beam' vertical. *Then I bolted a horizontal 2x6 on either side of
the angled 2x6s to support the 'beam'. *Similar to the collar tie
hehttp://qcfocus.com/files/Collar%20Tie.JPG

If you are planning on only having a swingset (no fort or platform)
you'll also need to address the side to side forces. *For example this
appears to be a death trap:http://www.justoutdoortoys.co.uk/sto...stic_Maxplay_S...

The swings, bolts, chains, screw hooks, etc. are *very* expensive.
You are probably better off buying a diy kit complete with hardware
and plans. *It will probably end up costing the same as if you design
it yourself and buy all of the bolts, swings and so forth you are
going to need.

I think, but not sure that the center vertical 4x4's are supposed to
address that.

I am going to work up a 3 leg tripod type design for each end.
Then a 2 leg tripod to place in the center.