Posted to rec.woodworking
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Suggestions to improve my swing set frame design

On May 28, 12:42*am, theedudenator wrote:
I am going to build a swing set for the kids.
I want 4 spots for swings with ample room.
I am working with 2 different books on swing set design.

My frame will be 2 vertical 4x4 posts that sandwich my main beam.
Then 2 4x4 posts will be at 30 degree angles to create an A frame on
the ends.

The center beam will be 18 foot long. *It will be 3 2x6's bolted
together *(to make a 6x6 beam)
This beam will be close to 10 foot off the ground

I am really not sure about the vertical 4x4's and the angled ends.

I am not really sure how to do a beefy a frame design

I just built one for my princesses. A couple of thoughts...

18' is too long if you plan on having no center support. Even 3 2x6s
will flex and wobble with a swing in the middle and a 60lb kid
swinging on it. And they keep growing...

My 'beam' is 2 2x6s screwed together from both sides with 2 3/4" deck
screws. This barely flexes with an 8' span. The point is that it
does flex at only 8'.

I think the vertical posts are overkill and won't do much. On the A-
frame side of mine I used 2x6s at an angle with a plumb cut to hold
the 'beam' vertical. Then I bolted a horizontal 2x6 on either side of
the angled 2x6s to support the 'beam'. Similar to the collar tie
he
http://qcfocus.com/files/Collar%20Tie.JPG

If you are planning on only having a swingset (no fort or platform)
you'll also need to address the side to side forces. For example this
appears to be a death trap:
http://www.justoutdoortoys.co.uk/sto..._Swing_Set.jpg

The swings, bolts, chains, screw hooks, etc. are *very* expensive.
You are probably better off buying a diy kit complete with hardware
and plans. It will probably end up costing the same as if you design
it yourself and buy all of the bolts, swings and so forth you are
going to need.