Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default screwing through joists

"sm_jamieson" wrote

I know it sounds silly, but how much does it weaken a joist to screw
sideways right through it ? If I fitted noggins (extra support for
plasterboard) between joists but flush with the bottom of the joists,
by screwing right through the 3 inch joists and into the noggin ends,
how much would it weaken the joist ?
What about drilling small holes near the bottom of a joist - say for a
screw pilot hole.
Or drilling a countersink for the screw ?
I want to make sure the BCO doesn't turn up and say I've wrecked my
roof supporting joists.
Should I devise another fixing method ?
Thanks,
Simon.

If you are simply fitting noggins, then the usual way is to screw or nail at
an angle through the side/end of the noggin then into the joist. Not screw
through the full thickness of the joist into the noggin end. At time of
house build, nailing noggins in place is OK. If you have ceiling/wall
attached, then hammering will cause nail heads to pop out and all-sorts. So
best pre-drill noggins and pilot into joists for screws.

HTH

Phil