Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colour code for 3-wire room stat?

Tim S wrote:
Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm just replacing an old room stat with a new one. The old one is
the 2-wire (plus CPC) version, and the new one is a Honeywell 3-wire
(plus CPC). I have no problem with the actual wiring (cable is
already run).

However, is there any convention for which of the three colours is
used for live, switched live, and neutral? My instinct would be
brown for live, grey for switched live, and black for neutral....

Perversely, I've heard of a lot of people (IET Forums) trying to
avoid black for neutral to positively break the old association (eg 3
core SWA taking L/N/E to a shed).

I think that's taking things a bit far, but it's what I've heard.

Everyone seems agreed that the usual single phase line colour (ie
brown) is a good candidate to use for the permanent live.

Nobody asked me :-(

These colours don't seem 'natural' to me. With the old colours red was the
obvious live - red for danger, black the obvious neutral.

With the new colours they seem the wrong way around; electricity is 'blue'
to me, brown is a drab nuetral colour.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk