Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default glass sliding door disposal

Rick wrote:
Just replaced a 30 year old single pane sliding glass door and now
need to get rid of the old one. After a few calls, the
recommendations are to just break it since I dont have a truck and it
probably wouldnt survive the trip to the dump. The window has tint
film on one side. My plan is to sandwich it between plastic sheets
and hit it wit a hammer unless there is a better solution. So.....

1) Is this window definately made with saftely glass? I dont see
any
stamps but I think this was required after 1977

2) should the tint be removed or is this a plus? My main concern is
that it will not shatter completely if the tint supports the glass.
However if it does shatter then the film would contain and perhps
make
the clean up easier?

3) Should I attempt to remove the frame or is this a bad idea?

Thanks

Rick

The last time I disposed of glass, from old windows, I was able to dump
them in the dumpster (for glass only) at the hardware store where I
purchased new glass. When I replaced the glass, some panes were
intentionally broken, rather than hazard cutting my arm off by trying to
pry away old, hard glazing compound. I covered the pane with old shelf
paper (can't remember the name of the stuff with adhesive on it?), gave
it a smack, and it held together pretty well - tarp below to catch the
pieces. One pane came out intact and leaned itself on the windowsill )

For a large pane, I would be inclined to take it out of the frame, use
glass cutter and try to cut into manageable pieces. Worst that might
happen is it breaks further, but then it will probably hang together
so's you can haul to recycling bin.