Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bending square sect tube

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Osprey wrote:
Time for another project ... need to put a 90 degree bend in some
1.25" square section tube.
Not bought the section yet but guessing something like 16 gauge
(0.064") or maybe I will need 14 gauge (0.08")
Obviously the bend radius will mean a reasonably gentle bend.

I have 2 questions if anybody has experience of such things.

# What is the minimum bend radius, I'll make sure I keep above this.

# Is this a practical bend to do at home ... or should I go to a
fabricator and buy it 'bent'

Fill it with fine sand and plug the ends - one first, obviously. Heat to
red and bend. In theory. But probably easier to find a place that has a
bender for this.

yes..something like that, or bend round a pretty large radius using a
few tons..like run it over with an articulated lorry on a gravel bed to
start it off...:-)