Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Using JB Weld on car gas line

Jimw wrote:
I know JB Weld will fix most anything except some plastics and holds
well on metals. I have heard it being used on gas tanks and never
heard of it leaking after it was used. However, someone told me that
modern gas will eat thru it. I dont see where modern gas is much
different than the gas was 10 years ago. I guess most of it has some
alcohol in it, but will alcohol hurt the JB Weld?

I have a 91 Chevy truck and there is a pin hole leak in a gas return
line in the fuel pump outlet, right before it enters the hose. I'm
not going to spend $250 to buy a new in-tank fuel pump (that's what I
was quoted), when the pump works fine. I would have thought the JB
Weld would be fine, but if not, I will have a guy solder it or braze
it (after all the gas is flushed out by pumping water thru it). But
the JB Weld is the easiest and cheapest method to fix it.

Also, these lines have a gas hose with some really weird fittings that
need some special tool. The guy at the parts store told me I cant
just use regular fuel hose and clamps because fuel injection engines
have high pressure. How high can it be? I doubt it comes even close
to the 100psi rating of the gasline hose, and if it does, I'll use air
compressor hose rated at 300psi. At the same time, I had a guy who
works on cars as a hobby tell me that he has used gasline hose for
fuel injection lines. So, who is right? I tend to think that auto
parts store guy wanted to get his grubby hands into my wallet with his
$250 fuel pump, $20 special tool, and $28 special hose. $300 to fix a
damn fuel line leak is insane (not to mention the hassle of removing
the whole gas tank).

I hate working on these newer cars. Give me something prior to 1970
to work on, when things were still simple and parts were not sold by
crooks.

Jimw

the jb will work. get it good and clean and dry and somewhat warm.
Then let it cure a full 24 hours. Don't use the jb quick.