Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
KD7HB KD7HB is offline

Default Step up transformer 240V to 480V 3 phase

On May 26, 5:18*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley :

How about a 480 step DOWN transformer and simply turn it around
backwards?

Due to core losses, copper losses, et. al., it won't work at the 2:1
ratio in reverse.

LLoyd

Hi, Lloyd.
The voltage ratios have to be the same, either direction, as they are
physical quantities(turns counts). What doesn't work it the KVA
rating, according to the electrician that installed the transformer to
operate our convection oven for soldering circuit boards. He said to
de-rate the KVA 10%. We have been running a transformer backwards to
get 480 from 208 for about 4 years, now. 24/7.

Paul