Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default in car entertainment

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Dave writes:
Daughter bought her daughters an in car dvd player with 2 screens and it
has decided to break down.

On looking at the cigar plug end of the power cable, I found a blown
fuse, so I changed the 3 Amp for a 2.5 which is all I have in stock at
the moment and it has blow 2 of them so far.

I measured the resistance of the DVD play power input and it measuered
400 Ohms one way and 800 Ohms when I reversed the multimeter leads. I'm
thinking of buying some 5 amp fuses a.m. and see what it does to them.

I could conect it up to a variable power supply and see what it is
drawing through, but I thought that this was an unusual thing to happen.

Any ideas anyone? Or does it have to go for repair?

Dave (a bit out of touch with this DVD technology.)

Check carefully for any obvious damage such as crushed cables.

First thing I did, when I replaced the fuse. Check the continuity of the
cable from car to other end, everything was fine. I tested it on my 30
amp PSU that runs my amateur radios. I have in line a cigar lighter
socket to test car driven devices. It is regulated to 13.8 Volts, the
same as you get from a car battery with the engine running.

Otherwise, I would guess the car supply is probably fed into a
switched mode PSU to derive the stablised supplies the circuitry
needs, and this has gone pop.

As I said to another poster, the only thing running is the DVD deck.

Dave