Posted to alt.home.repair
james james is offline

Default GFCI toggle switches?

"Doug" wrote in message
I have a set of AC toggle switches about a yard away from my shower
stall. Light, vent fan, and heat lamp. They are in one box -- one dual
switch, and a single switch with an indicator light (the heat lamp).
I've been wondering if I should be using a GFCI there. But the only
ones I can find are GFCI outlets, not GFCI switches, and especially
dual switches. There isn't any outlet there.

First question is if I need GFCI there. If someone reaches out of the
shower with wet hands and touches an AC switch, are they in danger of
electrocution?

If yes, what do I do about it? Special grade switches? Or is there
really a way of getting GFCI into a dual box with three switches?

I believe there is an electrical code that switches be some distance away so
that it is UN-reachable from a shower stall. Because of this, you may find
there is no GFCI protected switch available. Another reason is that in order
to fully protect a switch, the GFCI needs to be upstream. Otherwise, there
will always be some portion of the switch that is unprotected (e.g. the
incoming hot lead).

In addition to putting in a GFCI breaker in the panel, there is another
possibility:

If the upstream of the switch is an outlet somewhere, then you can replace
the outlet with a GFCI outlet and let the switch be the downstream load.