Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator problem: Insufficient cooling

From what you were describing, I'd have thought the suction
pressure was below atmospheric. 15PSI running suction is a
bit too high, on a household refrigerator. I'm thinking at
this point there is something badly wrong with the
compressor. Sounds like it's not pumping refrigerant. Add
some freon, and it's still not cooling.... that's a very
strong hint that the compressor has problems.

Plugged drier or capillary would give you a very low suction
pressure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"nucleus" wrote in message
installed piercing valve on suction line, suction pressure
15 psig
after fridge ran for 5 minutes, that sounds normal to me,
does
that sound normal to you?

afterward, i added 26 grams of R134a over 4 minutes, suction
pressure now 20 psig; however the second loop (out of 10
loops) on the evap coil is still not frosted.

any input would be appreciated. thanks for your help.

failing compressor, plugged drier, plugged capillary???

On May 23, 8:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My guess is that your fridge is low on freon. Piercing
valve
on suction line, and read the suction pressure with the
system running. Add refrigerant until the discharge temp
comes up a bit, and the suction pressure comes up. Good
idea
to vacuum it out, and charge with a known weight of
refrigerant. But, I've just topped em off by gages, and
temperatures.