Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Is there a point at which it's unsafe to keep an old washer/dryer going?

I don't know of any safety concerns. The only one that comes
to mind is a bit far fetched. The windings in the electric
motors may be wearing through. But, that's not a likely
problem. Since they work well for you, I'd keep using them.

My personal washing machine was here when I moved in, 1994.
Since then I've had to oil the motor twice, and clean the
dried oil out of the timer, once. I line dry everythign, so
no dryer to worry about.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"brassplyer" wrote in message
I've got a 70's era washer and dryer that I got used in the
late 80's.
The drum sliders on the dryer have worn and the drum is at a
low
angle, the transmission on the washer finally gave up the
ghost.

I can get a replacement transmission for the washer and
renovate the
drum sliders on the dryer, but it occurs to me that besides
the
hardware, there's also 30-plus year old electrical
components. I
wonder if at a certain point appliances become dangerous to
keep
going.

The problem I have with new appliances is that they all seem
utilize computer chip/circuit board technology. One of the
great
things about the old washer/dryer is they utilize relatively
simple
mechanical controls which appear to have contributed to
their
longevity.

Does anyone still make rock-solid barebones washers and
dryers with
mechanical controls?