Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default World Oil Production to Peak in 2013

On Tue, 26 May 2009 02:23:50 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be RobertL
wrote this:-

..., given that the rate of discovery has consistently
increased faster than the rate of increase in use.

But it hasn't. the rate of discovery has FALLEN steadily over the
last 50 years and rate of consumption has increased.

Indeed. As I quoted earlier in the thread:

"The oil we have built our societies on was actually created one
hundred million years ago. More of it is not now going to suddenly
appear 10,000 feet underground just because economists say the price
is too high."

" * There were enormous early discoveries (in the Middle East) in
the late 1930's and late 1940's

" * Worldwide oil discovery peaked in 1964 and has been falling ever
since

" * Every year since 1984, we have been discovered less oil than we
have produced

" * We currently find one barrel of oil for every four that we use"

http://philhart.com/content/introduction-peak-oil

Perhaps mere facts cause some to put their fingers in their ears and
shout loudly that they can't hear. That certainly seems to be the
approach of many governments. However, just as with climate change,
ignoring peak oil does not make it go away.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh