Posted to uk.d-i-y
adrian adrian is offline

Default in car entertainment

HI Dave

Dave wrote:
Daughter bought her daughters an in car dvd player with 2 screens and it
has decided to break down.

On looking at the cigar plug end of the power cable, I found a blown
fuse, so I changed the 3 Amp for a 2.5 which is all I have in stock at
the moment and it has blow 2 of them so far.

I measured the resistance of the DVD play power input and it measuered
400 Ohms one way and 800 Ohms when I reversed the multimeter leads. I'm
thinking of buying some 5 amp fuses a.m. and see what it does to them.

I could conect it up to a variable power supply and see what it is
drawing through, but I thought that this was an unusual thing to happen.

Any ideas anyone? Or does it have to go for repair?

Dave (a bit out of touch with this DVD technology.)

I'm not clued-up on DVD technology either - but replacing a blow fuse
with one of a higher rating is a strategy that's a bit on the
'dangerous' side. There's a good chance that the original fuse blew for
a reason - and by just giving it more 'welly', you may end up blowing
more than the fuse...

Was the player bought 'new'? If so, replace the 3A (blown) fuse - take
it back and play dumb 'It stopped working'....

You could put an amp-meter in line and see how much current it's taking
- given that there's probably a fault condition, it's probably pulling
more than 3A (to blow the fuse - a lot more than 3A!) - so watch out
that you don't blow the amp-meter as well..

Return for refund, or get it repaired....

Adrian