Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default Is there a point at which it's unsafe to keep an old washer/dryergoing?

I've got a 70's era washer and dryer that I got used in the late 80's.
The drum sliders on the dryer have worn and the drum is at a low
angle, the transmission on the washer finally gave up the ghost.

I can get a replacement transmission for the washer and renovate the
drum sliders on the dryer, but it occurs to me that besides the
hardware, there's also 30-plus year old electrical components. I
wonder if at a certain point appliances become dangerous to keep
going.

The problem I have with new appliances is that they all seem to
utilize computer chip/circuit board technology. One of the great
things about the old washer/dryer is they utilize relatively simple
mechanical controls which appear to have contributed to their
longevity.

Does anyone still make rock-solid barebones washers and dryers with
mechanical controls?