Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Money down the drain - ordered whole house water regulator.

wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 23:48:20 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I am more concerened with the waste from
the excessive pressure making the garden hose almost uncontrolable and the
waste of water with sink and shower use (even shower restrictor doesn't seem
to help). I know with self disapline controling the the flow by adjusting
the spickets is possible but I think its easier just to trottle it down with
the regulator as not to try and have family and guests concerned. I was
hoping to hear from someone who had a similar concern with their water
pressure and took this route. I'm sure they are out there as the reglators
are on the market.

Doubling the water pressure does not double the flow. 150psi fill flow
double the water that 50psi will through a given opening, according to
WATTS, manufacturer of domestic water pressure reduction valves.

According to them also, 80psi is considered "standard" household
pressure while many mains can run as high as 200psi. Most codes
require reduction valves if pressure excedes 80psi.

50 psi is piddle pressure.

Most of the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valves on
domestic/American water heaters are set for 150 psi.
If you have a static pressure of 80 psi and no regulator
on your home water supply, you may often get pressure
spikes that exceed the limit on the relief valve on the
water heater. After a time, the valve can start leaking.
Last year, it happened to a friend who's water bill went
way up. She had a leaking T/P valve on the water heater
after the water dept upgraded the water lines in her area.
Her static water pressure was around 80 psi and when I
put pressure gauge on her water line, I could see it jump
to over 100 psi every so often. The installation of a
regulator and new T/P valve solved the problem. There was
plenty of water flow at the factory set 50 psi.

TDD