Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI toggle switches?

Doug wrote:
I have a set of AC toggle switches about a yard away from my shower
stall. Light, vent fan, and heat lamp. They are in one box -- one dual
switch, and a single switch with an indicator light (the heat lamp).
I've been wondering if I should be using a GFCI there. But the only
ones I can find are GFCI outlets, not GFCI switches, and especially
dual switches. There isn't any outlet there.

First question is if I need GFCI there. If someone reaches out of the
shower with wet hands and touches an AC switch, are they in danger of
electrocution?

If yes, what do I do about it? Special grade switches? Or is there
really a way of getting GFCI into a dual box with three switches?

It can be fed from the GFCI outlet in the wall or
a GFCI breaker in the electrical panel. The switch
handles are plastic and the cover plate is plastic.
I doubt you have a shock hazard there even from the
painted metal cover screws. The switch brackets are
supposed to be grounded (earthed as my Limey friends
say).

TDD