Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Use spacers on shower wall tile?

On May 25, 2:21*am, gpsman wrote:
On May 24, 9:48*pm, RicodJour wrote:

Too thin of
a grout line is as bad as too big of a grout line in wet areas. *Go
with the spacers - 1/8" or a bit more is about right with 4x4 or 6x6
tile.

He states he's replacing a section, and seems to be detail oriented,
so he probably wants to match what's there.

Right. I didn't address that and I should have. I should also have
mentioned that unless you have the exact same tile from the same
manufacturer the tile will probably not match exactly. If it's a
little bit small you can get away with it, but if it's a little bit
big and the OT (original tiler) just butted the tile against each
other there will be a problem.

He could use anything for spacers horizontally, vertical isn't much of
a problem to eyeball.

I like the round-square-round toothpicks as spacers. I also like to
chew on them.

The other problem with thin grout lines can be filling the space all
the way to the substrate. *An unsanded grout of lighter than usual
consistency would be my choice.

My theory is that most modern grout jobs fail due to failing to dampen
the joints before grouting, followed by failing to fill the joints,
and/or poor basic construction.

Which brings me to failed grout. *The only reason I know of that grout
should fail is excessive flex of the substrate. *In that case, no
grout job is going to last.

Or using too much water when cleaning off the excess grout.

Any such major tile repair should be carefully evaluated against
complete replacement, and I wouldn't suggest the former be tackled by
homeowners, except that the chance of finding anyone more qualified is
exceptionally poor.

There are tons of little tricks a "real" tile mechanic employs that
nobody told the clerk at HD. *In this example it might be beating in
the new tile from a base on the existing tile, or recessing the new
substrate a hair and building it up with thinset to make it all come
out flush, or washing out the corner joints just a hair to leave a
little more room for caulk, if you think it's necessary.

All depends on your expectations of the finished product, I guess. *A
good tile job is expensive, a homeowner can get comparable results
with due diligence.

I usually point people to the John Bridge tile forums. Lots of good
information and advice over there.