Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Money down the drain - ordered whole house water regulator.

On May 25, 10:38*am, "Questor" wrote:
Thanks, the pressure gage sounds like a good idea. *We're retired on limited
income and looking to cut costs and the water bill seems like one of the
expenses I can do something with. *One of the contractors we were getting
estimates from mentioned the pressure was in the 80lb range and we've heard
the sewer and water bills in this area were high.

I think investigating the pressure is the first step, and if it is
high you should do something about it, but you should realize that a
high water bill comes from old habits. It's no different than someone
leaving the refrigerator door open while they get the and make their
coffee, or leaving a window open in an air-conditioned house.

Learning new habits can be difficult with non-critical things. As
silly as it sounds, leaving a note at the kitchen faucet - Water! -
would help prevent unnecessary consumption.

Another thing you should do is to check your water meter when there's
no water running in the house at all - no toilets filling, no hot
water tank filling, etc. If the indicator is spinning when the water
is off everywhere you probably have a leak somewhere. Could be a
leaking toilet tank seal or something that you wouldn't really notice
unless you were looking for it. Such slow leaks, running 24/7, can
waste a lot of water.