Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Walkie Talkies

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

(snip)

At work talkies are used all the time. They are the high dollar comercial 5
watt units. Due to the ammount of steel in the buildings we have a hard
time talking 500 feet sometimes. The building is very large (about 40 acers
under roof. The talkies work good outside the buildings.

We had that problem too. Campus a quarter-mile on a side, with one
six-story wing and one steel-framed 14 story tower, and multiple smaller
buildings and service tunnels. Lotsa dead spots, especially below the
layer of steam pipes in the basement. I ended up putting a repeater on
the roof of the 14 story tower. We can talk over most of the county,
now, with 5 watt handhelds. For a situation like yours, they do sell
solutions involving little antennas attached to the ceiling in each
building, talking back to the base station via your corporate LAN.
Mini-repeaters, basically.

--
aem sends...