Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Use spacers on shower wall tile?

On May 24, 9:30*pm, muzician21 wrote:
I got tiles, premix thinset, "blue board" water resistant sheet rock
in preparation to replace a section of tiles in my shower stall. The
guy in that dept where I got the stuff at Home Depot insisted I don't
need spacers for the tile, that shower stall wall tiles are supposed
to be butted up against each other.

All the "how to" videos I see on YouTube show the use of spacers for
setting shower stall wall tiles. You think this guy just didn't know
what he was talking about?

If he worked at Home Depot it's pretty much a given that they're
talking out of their ass. Sad, but true.

The wall tile do indeed have lugs on the sides that space the tile a
bit, but there are problems with having such a thin grout line. It
leaves no room for error and if you run off even a little bit laying
the tile it will only get worse as you continue. It also makes it a
pain in the ass to regrout should that ever be necessary. Too thin of
a grout line is as bad as too big of a grout line in wet areas. Go
with the spacers - 1/8" or a bit more is about right with 4x4 or 6x6
tile.

BTW, blue board is for plaster, green board is moisture resistant and
should _not_ be used in a shower.