Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Walkie Talkies

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
My two mile walkies reached 0.7 miles in Rochester, NY, so
I'm with you on the distance claims. Car to car, line of
sight, should work well. And 14 clean channels. No skip, and
no cross channel. Yet. Until someone figures out how to make
a cheap linny and splatter the band.

Here is the fine print on some with the advertised 10 mile range.

1. The communication range quoted is calculated based on an unobstructed
line of sight test under optimum conditions. Actual range will vary
depending on terrain and conditions, and is often less than the maximum
possible. Your actual range will be limited by several factors including,
but not limited to: terrain, weather conditions, electromagnetic
interference, and obstructions.

All you have to do is find a place where you can see for 10 miles.

At work talkies are used all the time. They are the high dollar comercial 5
watt units. Due to the ammount of steel in the buildings we have a hard
time talking 500 feet sometimes. The building is very large (about 40 acers
under roof. The talkies work good outside the buildings.