Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Walkie Talkies

George wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 11:44:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
Within the last several years, FCC authorized "Family Radio
Service". I know that many stores have great success with them.
Though, they are not legal for use by business. Just families.
Still, many stores use them.

Unless you are outside cellphone coverage, what's the point?

Just use cell phones. WTs are just one more PITA piece of portable
electronics to lug around. My camera, cell phone, and walkman are
enough.

You don't have to pay monthly fees for walkie-talkies. Not everyone
has or routinely carries a cell, or wants to. And out in the boonies
or at a crowed public venue, availability is likely to be spotty or
non-existent.

--
aem sends...

Pretty much all of the carriers have some sort of "in network calling"
etc where the clock isn't running if you are called or are calling
someone on the same carrier. Our plan also includes the ability to add
10 additional numbers from any carrier or landline which are also off
the clock. I have never experienced a problem at a crowded venue because
carriers plan for that and unfortunately coverage also extends into the
boonies. A walkie talkie is just another radio to carry and charge a
battery and maintain.

I repeat- not everybody has a cell phone, or wants one. Nor does
everyone want to pay the monthly fees, for something they may only need
3-4 times a year. I only have a toy prepaid that costs me 8 bucks a
month, and have close to $200 in airtime built up on it, because I use
it so little. (traveling or the occasional days I am on call.) No way
would I pay $25-30 or more a month for a 'real' cell phone. It lives in
my briefcase, and I turn it on maybe once a week to check for voicemail,
if I remember. And if what you call 'boonies' has cell coverage, you
don't wander around much. Whole swaths of the country only have cell in
town and along major highways. It is only in last few years that Park
Service has encouraged cell towers in the larger remote parks, mainly to
make life easier for their people when clueless tourists get lost. As to
system saturation- it is better than it used to be, but they still have
to run in portable towers for major events, or lots of people can't dial
out.

--
aem sends...