Roger Wareham

Default Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required?

wrote:
One of the first jobs to tackle in refitting the bathroom at our flat
will be the lighting. We're going to put up a pine T&G ceiling which
will be supported on battens screwed to the 'real' ceiling, thus there
will be space for the lights, wiring, etc. in the space behind the
T&G. (The 'real' ceiling is solid concrete as far as I can detect,
there's no access beyond it).

What sort of lights must I, can I or should I have? Are they required
by the regulations to be of a specific IP rating or anything, or
designated as bathroom lights, or what? Is there any more specific
requirement for any lights which are actually above the bath?
Six downlighters is probably what we'll go for, the ones at my
mother-in-laws house are very satisfactory in the bathroom.

The ceiling is quite high (thus the false T&G ceiling presents no
problem), it's distinctly more than the normal modern house ceiling
height.

As a minor additional question what sorts of lights and switches can
one have above a washbasin, are only pull switches allowed for such
lights? (It'll be pretty close to the bath, it's not a big bathroom).

Take a look at:

http://amdea.org.uk/bath1.1.pdf

Roger.