Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Walkie Talkies

"Ulysses" wrote in message

I got some with a 3 mile range and they didn't work from my house to the
back of my property (over a hill about 1000 feet). I got some with a 7
mile
range and they didn't work as well as the 3 mile range. About the only
time
I actually use them is while working on something when someone has to
monitor one thing while someone else is 500 feet away working on the
problem.

I was hoping they would work well enough so my wife or daughter could call
if they got stuck in the mud where there is no cell phone service. It's
less than a mile to the bad area and they don't work.

All-in-all I'd say they work a little better than the old four transistor
walkie-talkies I had when I was a kid.

The ranges given are a big joke. If you look at the fine print you may see
something strange like from the top of a mountain. Some friends have
communicated over 30 miles with them,but one was on top of Mt. Mitchell
(highest point on east coast). At much over 500 feet they are like a big
searchlight. If you can see it, you can talk. If there is a hill in the
way , forget it.

As a ham operator I have used the talkies for over 25 years. You just have
to know what can and can not be expected of them.