Posted to rec.woodworking
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Simple cad/design software?

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:51:11 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On May 23, 2:56*pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
Can anyone recommend a simple cad-like program for making simple 3D
designs? It doesn't need to be free.

From time to time I want to build something for home use. I usually
use paper and pencil, but that has limitations.

My current project is a net for practicing golf shots in the backyard.
There are nets available from various manufacturers. I want to build a
frame out of PVC or wood or something to hold the net. It needs to fit
the available net sizes, fold up for temporary storage, and
disassemble for long-term storage.

It would be great to have a program that I could use to at least
sketch out the project and print up a list of materials. Being able to
see it in 3D would be great, but not required.

This site has a brief review of some programs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&n...=cad+software+...

It mentions Google SketchUp, but I think it is referring to SketchUp
Pro, because it says it costs $500. Does anyone know how the free
version compares?

You were on the right track, but you need to delve further. Operative
search term, "comparison".
http://sketchup.google.com/product/whygopro.html

Thanks. I found that page after poking around a bit.