Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Drilling cross-holes in small parts

In article ,
"Michael Koblic" wrote:

How do you drill cross holes in small cylinders (brass or steel). The
cylinders are 3/8 - 1/2" in diameter and often less than 1" in length. The
hole is 1/4"

I am having all sorts of problems with this: The clamping is limited as the
clamps often interfere with the drill, especially centre drill. I find it
impossible to clamp both ends of the cylinder for the same reason. I tried
drill press vise, v-blocks, side-ways chucks, you name it.

What usually happens is that the part tends to flex somewhat and even if it
does not there is horrible chatter.

Some sort of sacrificial v-block? But the part still has to be held in it
somehow.

If you are doing only a few, what I do is to mill a small flat, and then
spot drill and then through drill with a screw-machine length bit, all
without removing the workpiece from the mill vice. With the milled
flat, it's easy to find the center of the flat, which is where the hole
is drilled. I've used this method to drill diametrical holes in
spherical parts.

If you are making a lot of parts, I'd make something like the
intersecting-holes jig that others have discussed.

Joe Gwinn