Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Post mortem on an IEC connector

Eeyore wrote:

p.p.s The hairline crack around soldered joints is especially common where the
drilled hole size is not ideal ( oversize ) for the lead diameter. I have seen
manufacturers specify hole sizes very poorly with the inevitable outcome. Hence my
PCB footprints often use my own estimation of the appropriate drill size rather than
the data book one. Plenty of other people do the same.

Graham

My Dad - who taught me to solder some 50 years ago - use to say that a
good solder joint started off as a good mechanical joint.

As a teeenager, I probably spent thousands of hours wiring up
uniselectors and GPO relays with tinned copper wire and sleeving, on
every joint, the wire was either wound around the tag or passed through
a hole, if it was a lead through a circuit board, the wire was bent over
at right angles on the solder side.

We manufacturerd slot machines btw.

Ron