Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] tthawng7@gmail.com is offline

Default Drilling cross-holes in small parts

On May 24, 8:06*am, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
How do you drill cross holes in small cylinders (brass or steel). The
cylinders are 3/8 - 1/2" in diameter and often less than 1" in length. The
hole is 1/4"

I am having all sorts of problems with this: The clamping is limited as the
clamps often interfere with the drill, especially centre drill. I find it
impossible to clamp both ends of the cylinder for the same reason. I tried
drill press vise, v-blocks, side-ways chucks, you name it.

What usually happens is that the part tends to flex somewhat and even if it
does not there is horrible chatter.

Some sort of sacrificial v-block? But the part still has to be held in it
somehow.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC