Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.tech
Brandon McCombs Brandon McCombs is offline

Default Hard starting Briggs & Stratton 3.0 hp lawnmower engine

Fat Moe wrote:
muzician21 wrote:
Have a B&S on a 70's era Snapper 21" pusher with an aluminum deck. I
believe the engine is probably 10 years newer than the rest of the
mower.

[snip]

Thanks for all input.

Sounds like it's time to do a little work on the carburetor. Put a new
diaphragm in it if it the older type that uses those. As the motors age
it's worth while to make a priming port in the air cleaner, drill a hole
you can plug after starting and spray some carb cleaner in it to start
it. Also check the valve clearances (those easy spin engine valve
clearances are pretty critical for easy starting) and a good spark plug.
Would help if you posted the engine model number. On newer ones with
primer bulbs and bowl/float it's common for the main jet to get clogged
over winter.

I had a mower given to me recently by a co-worker. It uses a B&S engine.
I had to take the carb apart and clean out the main jet because he
hadn't used it in years. The mower would not stay running unless I did
that however, it *would* start up still on the first or second try if
primed properly. It would also continue running if a 2nd person was
available to continue priming it. I don't know anything about mowers but
if the OP's mower takes that long to start could it still be an issue of
a dirty/clogged carb? I'm just comparing what you said to what I
recently experienced.