Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Asbestos in Ceiling Tile?

"Marissa Taylor" wrote in message
I'm concerned that my 12" x 12" white ceiling tiles may contain asbestos.
They have holes and small etchings in them. However, many fiber based,
non-asbestos tiles may look similar and hopefully that is what I have.
Short of sending one to a lab, are there any visual differences between
harmless fiber ceiling tiles and older ones made of asbestos?

I need to remove one as a pipe appears to be leaking above it, but if
asbestos is involved, it will be a whole other project!

Doubt they have asbestos, but a simple dust mask would take care of things.
No need to get all hysterical about removing one tile.