Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Update on my Fridge Problem

In article , (Art Todesco) writes:

| I'm going to guess that there is
| something wrong with the defrost cycle. I
| had a similar problem where gradually
| the freezer and fridge got warmer
| and warmer. The Kitchen Aid authorized
| no-nothing wanted to charge me
| $1500 for a new compressor. I guess he
| actually knew a lot .... how to
| get $1500 from a sucker.

I had a problem with a Kitchen Aid except in my case it clearly (to me
anyway) _was_ the compressor and I had an extended warranty. It's
amazing what they went through to avoid replacing the compressor.
They started with the door switch and then the defrost timer and then
the fan. In between each "repair" of course they made me wait a few
days to a week to see if it would "settle in" or such. At that point
I was using a little dorm fridge because the Kitchen Aid wasn't cooling
at all. Finally they replaced the compressor and it worked (well, at
least as well as it ever worked) for a few years. I suspect they don't
get to charge the warranty place quite what they would charge us directly
so they don't have an incentive to do hard work...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com