Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] joelblatt@aol.com is offline

Default The Case for Working With Your Hands

Boy, can I relate to that article - I worked part way through college
as an auto mechanic. During 30 some years of physics teaching (which
I mostly loved), but by living modestly, I kept on my mind that I
could quit at any time and make a living as a mechanic - that limited
how much cr.p I was willing to put up with. I ran the university
machine shop because the professors of engineering felt it was below
their dignity - I leaned a ton from our machinist.

After I retired I taught math and science in a parochial high school,
but I made sure that all my kids could identify motor oil, brake
fluid, anti-freeze, transmission and rear axle oil and battery acid by
feel, smell, or taste, and knew how to take apart and fix a toilet.
The finest moment came when one of the not so motivated students
brought in the broken muffler from his scooter, and I ended up
teaching him the basics of stick and oxy-acetylene welding - he went
on to become a very motivated marine engine mechanic.

Now I want to re-read The Soul of a New Machine and Zen and the Art of
Motorcycle Maintenance.

Sorry for the long ramble.... Joel in Florida