Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The Case for Working With Your Hands

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

We'll have to keep an eye out for the book, _Shop Class as Soulcraft: An
Inquiry Into the Value of Work_. It's supposed to be published this week.

You can preorder it at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Sou.../dp/1594202230

I just did. I have a book coming from Winston so It might take me a bit
of time after
getting it from Amazon to read it. I could send the soulcraft book to
you as a thank you
for sending me the NRA book. If Winston is interested in reading it, you
can send it to
him and he can send it to me.

Thanks. I'll take you up on that offer.

Regarding the starter on his motorcycle, I never had a starter problem on
three of my motorcycles. They didn't have electric starters. However, I
had
a bad sprained ankle for six months on my kick-start side, which made life
interesting. g

I had a Honda CB500T, a sad choice of a motorcycle, the 450T would have
been a far better
bike. The starter never failed but the internal bits seemed to fail quite
often. Finally
I had enough. Pulled the starter off, inserted a rubber soft plug and
closed off hole.
Not a bad bike to kick start.

Better than my BSA Victor 441, I'm sure. If you hit that one stiff-legged,
it could launch you like a mortar shell if it was in a bad mood. g My
Honda CB350, on the other hand, kick-started so easily that I almost never
used the electric starter.

I do recognize that bushing problem, however, because it was one of
several
things I had to fix when I restored a '50s-era Mitchell high-speed movie
camera. Everything was shot, and you could actually feel the armature
grating against the stator when you turned it by hand. I replaced the
bushings with pieces I turned from a bronze propeller shaft that came from
an old boat -- my primary source of bronze bushing stock. With all of the
shallow sandbars we have in NJ, they're fairly common.

The typical symptom for me with a car starter was one time it started fine
the next time
it drew 400A and didn't move. Generally temperature dependant. Might
have also been
dependant on radial orientation of armature.

Someone's misfortune, your gain. Speaking of fishing, I hope you are
getting some in.

Wes

A bit. We're in between seasons. I don't fish for flabby hatchery trout, and
I haven't gotten up to PA yet. And the sal****er fishing is between winter
flounder and summer flounder.

--
Ed Huntress