Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Refrigerator Problem

"Question" wrote in message
All that replied said it seems like a problem with the circulating fan.
Last night I starting pulling things a part and I found that all the parts
in the back behind the cover were covered in dust, I cleaned it out. Then
I took all the spoiled food from the freezer and threw it out, after doing
that I noticed a frost build-up on the metal plate that covers the coils,
I removed that cover and there was a lot of frost there, I manually
defrosted the freezer and that frost is forming back again. I put 3 bowls
half full of water in there and they are freezing fine.

Is it normal for the frost to form on those coils?
Could the excessive dust have caused this original problem?

Yes, some frost is normal. If the evaporator fan is not working properly,
or the defrost cycle is not working properly, the frost will build up and
you get the poor performance you've experienced.

The cleaning may, or may not, have fixed the problem. Is the fan working?