Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The Case for Working With Your Hands

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Don't miss this. Just don't. Even if you have to sign in to read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ma...1&ref=magazine

Excellent read! A good day at work is when I'm presented with an
interesting problem to
diagnose and correct. I particularly enjoyed where he went into figuring
risk / reward to
various approaches at a problem. Oh and the starter problem with the
bushing and armature
dragging, been there done that, 1965 Biscayne sta wagn.

Wes

We'll have to keep an eye out for the book, _Shop Class as Soulcraft: An
Inquiry Into the Value of Work_. It's supposed to be published this week.

Regarding the starter on his motorcycle, I never had a starter problem on
three of my motorcycles. They didn't have electric starters. However, I had
a bad sprained ankle for six months on my kick-start side, which made life
interesting. g

I do recognize that bushing problem, however, because it was one of several
things I had to fix when I restored a '50s-era Mitchell high-speed movie
camera. Everything was shot, and you could actually feel the armature
grating against the stator when you turned it by hand. I replaced the
bushings with pieces I turned from a bronze propeller shaft that came from
an old boat -- my primary source of bronze bushing stock. With all of the
shallow sandbars we have in NJ, they're fairly common.

--
Ed Huntress