Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Best material for practice net frame?

Prof Wonmug wrote:
I am working on a design for a backyard golf shot practice net. I have
the basic design worked out. Now I need to choose the material. I was
planning on using PVC pipes and connectors. I called a PVC
manufacturer and was told that PVC is not a good choice because a golf
ball could shatter it. My design has the net mostly in front of the
frame so balls should not be hitting the frame. This was to prevent
richocets, but also protects the frame.

How likely is it that a golf ball could shatter a PVC pipe? The guy I
talked to manufactures the stuff, so I am inclined to believe him.

Is there another material that would be better? I am concerned that
metal pipes would either be too heavy or too fragile and probably a
lot more expensive. Another option is wood, but I wold think it would
be heavier than PVC and there is more maintenance.

Any other suggestions I should be looking at?

I suspect, PEX, if diameter is suitable would be tougher. Don't know
about UV resistance. I agree that PVC would be unsuitable.