Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default When are the metal legs under deck posts needed?

On May 22, 11:19*am, mm wrote:
When are the metal legs under deck posts needed?

My old deck had the 1/2 inch high set of metal legs under two of its
three 4x4 wooden support posts.

But all of the posts stood on cinder blocks. * Were the metal legs
really needed?

I thought they are to keep the termites and other living things from
getting from the ground into the wood, but doesn't the cinder block
fulfill the same function? *In the case of one of my new legs, it
rests on a 3 foot by 3 foot cement (or concrete?) slab. *Isn't that
good enough also, without the metal legs?

Wood in contact with concrete is a no-no unless treated or a
"resistant" species.

That's why is a wood framed structure the bottom plate / sill plate is
treated timber.

The "metal" plate (ie post base) is what is required for a post.

I'm not a huge fan of Simpson products but unless you're inclined to
design & fab your own connectors.....their stuff is generally good
enough.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/ca...ost_bases.html

cheers
Bob