Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Demolition debris inside sewer line

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have been doing some major renovations on this property and few
days ago I hired a video inspection company to inspect all my sewer
lines to make sure they are all ok. I have reconfigured my drains in
each bathroom but the 3" main cast iron line was not altered.

The video revealed that there is a lot of corrosion going on with one
of the lines (I have three independent lines) coming out of the house
that merged after the driveway into the main cleanout). It has a lot
of buildup and scales and the shape of the pipe from the inside is no
longer circular but more like the inside of a "cave".

One option is to find a way to "rim" out the corroded portions (if
it's even possible). The other option suggested by the plumber is to
lay a new PVC pipe. This would involve cutting a 72 feet long 8"
wide trench along my 4" concrete slab, plus a few laterals to tie in
from the three bath, each of those would vary from 4 feet to 8 feet
in length. Obviously this is a drastic approach and the most costly
approach.

If you are going to have to replace the sewer lateral, it may be less costly
and less difficult to reroute the three pipes and the main lateral so that
as little as possible runs the length of the driveway but runs under lawn
and only need to angle over to tie into the city owned portion of the run.