Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Iron with brown gunk

On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:56:24 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

Mike Paulsen wrote in message
[snip iron sole with gunk]
Any fabric store (or store where they have a selection
of sewing supplies) will sell a product for cleaning the
iron.

I would have never thought of this... Thanks. I'll hit Joann's or Beverley's
today.

The Ranger

He and the others are probably all correct. This won't work with
teflon coated irons, etc. You can heat the iron and scrape the stuff
off with a putty knife. When I have had (smaller, thinner) stuff on
the bottom of my iron, I've sanded it with very fine sand paper, or
emory paper or that finer stuff (one could even start with medium or
fine and then go over it again with progressively finer) and it was a
matte finish after that, not sort of like mirror finish like it came
with, but it seemed to iron just fine.