Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Iron with brown gunk

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
I have an 18-yo variable temperature, steaming iron by Black and Decker.
It's been a workhorse!

Unfortunately for me, one of my daughter-units have taken to ironing
almost every stitch of clothing she owns, whether the material should be
ironed or not. As you might guess, one of the articles melted when she set
the hot iron atop it. I now have a section of the flat iron covered in
gunk. I've attempted to scrub it off. I tried heating the iron to it's
highest temperature setting and "ironing" a rough piece of towel. This
netted a positive; some came off with this but there's still a whole lot
left.

I don't want to use sand paper but am quickly coming to that desperation.

Other ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Get yourself an iron cleaning kit:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=11291139

Works fast. Rowenta, the mfr, also makes irons, so the product can be
trusted not to hurt the iron. Removes all sorts of crap placed on the iron
by mindless chicks.