Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Iron with brown gunk

"The Ranger" wrote in message
ndwidth...
As you might guess, one of the articles melted when she set the hot iron
atop it. I now have a section of the flat iron covered in gunk. I've
attempted to scrub it off. I tried heating the iron to it's highest
temperature setting and "ironing" a rough piece of towel. This netted a
positive; some came off with this but there's still a whole lot left.

I don't want to use sand paper but am quickly coming to that desperation.

Other ideas or suggestions?

Anything abrasive will ruin the sole plate and it will never iron the same,
What you have most likely, is a melted plastic material well adhered to the
metal. Try, but think about a new iron once you give up.