Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default A Modern Faucet Experience

On May 22, 1:15*am, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
20 years ago, I needed a new kitchen faucet, stopped by the wholesaler,
picked up a decent 2-handle with sprayer ($30). Don't even remember how the
old was hooked up, put some copper stuff together, threaded it up and
sweated 4 joints.

That old faucet was doing funny stuff, looked muy mucho long in the
tooth last week. HD had a Glacier Bay 808-394G on sale for $40. Had
'brass waterways', looked like a comparable unit, so I got one, a
couple in-line shut-offs and flexible connectors.

Spent Wed. afternoon knocking rust in my eyes with the basin wrench
etc. Got it all in, tested my connections. Turned it on. And the
hot leaked. Also goes Clunk-Clunk when I open or increase flow
of a valve, hot ot cold. No such noise for 20 years with the old
eqp't.

So I employ an allen wrench to remove the hot handle, and remove
the cartridge.

The thing looks like garbage. Any experience with these or similar?
How much $ for a decent faucet these days? I haven't bought/installed
any such eqpt for many years.

* Thx,
* Will

Keep it as simple as possible!
Which is why we have avoided anything but separate hot and cold taps,
now, for everything. Simple easy to adjust, few/no problems
Our one and only experience with a mixing type faucet for the kitchen
sink, when we built this second house in 1970 was sort of OK; but the
faucet unit only lasted about 12 years before giving trouble. The
lever that adjusted the Hot/cold ratio got loose and then the pin
securing it broke off! Replaced it with double taps to as single bib
which can swing over either of half of the the double sink unit. We
used to cater; a lot of dishes been washed through that sink!
After 39 years am about to replace the bathroom basin taps, mainly for
appearance, (although they work fine if you keep the washers and seats
in good condition. Think we paid $15 for them) but also because am
replacing the 15 year old sink itself.
Almost fooled myself; replacing the bathroom fiberglass/bath/shower
unit some 8-10 years ago found that it was designed for a mixer valve,
darn it, and had to fiddle a bit to locate the hot-cold tap handles so
as to be on flat surfaces! Worked fine since though.
Yep; simple is best.