Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger[_4_] The Ranger[_4_] is offline

Default Iron with brown gunk

I have an 18-yo variable temperature, steaming iron by Black and Decker.
It's been a workhorse!

Unfortunately for me, one of my daughter-units have taken to ironing almost
every stitch of clothing she owns, whether the material should be ironed or
not. As you might guess, one of the articles melted when she set the hot
iron atop it. I now have a section of the flat iron covered in gunk. I've
attempted to scrub it off. I tried heating the iron to it's highest
temperature setting and "ironing" a rough piece of towel. This netted a
positive; some came off with this but there's still a whole lot left.

I don't want to use sand paper but am quickly coming to that desperation.

Other ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

The Ranger