Mark Jerde

Default Right AND Left Tilt Table Saw?

"Griz" wrote in message

Given the related 'Subject Line' traffic on the R vs. L tilt subject,
though there IS an over all preference for the right-tilt there, it
appears, DOES remain MUCH in the way of market for BOTH!?

Well, ... I know of at least one! g I'm fond of my fingers, I'm really,
um, attached to them. rim shot And I want to keep it that way. I always
want the blade tilted away. Don't have room for two TS's so an ambidextrous
model would do nicely.

Just a related recollection that I thought might be of help. (?)

Yeah! Nice to know I wasn't dreaming.

Since posting I've been wondering about other ways it could be done. 30
years ago I cut hay with a swather. The drive system was based on pulleys &
belts. About the time I was leaving the ranch for college hydraulics took
over, and the belt & pulley swathers went the way of the horse & buggy. The
engine ran a pump and the oil made the thing go. I don't know for sure that
this machine is hydraulic motive power but it's similar in size to ones I
ran that we
http://www.dieselpage.com/art0119es6.htm

Notice that it's quite a bit more massive than your typical 10" saw blade,
yet oil pressure makes it move. Are there any mechanical engineers hanging
around here? Maybe the best way to get rid of belt & pulley losses on table
saws is to get rid of them. I want a left and right tilt table saw with
variable speed. (My saw turns at 4700 RPM but I want to buy a cheap dado
set that's only rated for 4500 RPM.)

Engineers -- would hydraulics spin a table saw blade?

-- Mark