Posted to alt.home.repair
Lefty[_2_] Lefty[_2_] is offline

Default A Modern Faucet Experience

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in message

20 years ago, I needed a new kitchen faucet, stopped by the wholsaler,
picked up a decent 2-handle with sprayer ($30). Don't even remember how
the
old was hooked up, put some copper stuff together, threaded it up and
sweated 4 joints.

That old faucet was doing funny stuff, looked muy mucho long in the
tooth last week. HD had a Glacier Bay 808-394G on sale for $40. Had
'brass waterways', looked like a comparable unit, so I got one, a
couple in-line shut-offs and flexable connectors.

Spent Wed. afternoon knocking rust in my eyes with the basin wrench
etc. Got it all in, tested my connections. Turned it on. And the
hot leaked. Also goes Clunk-Clunk when I open or increase flow
of a valve, hot ot cold. No such noise for 20 years with the old
eqp't.

So I employ an allen wrench to remove the hot handle, and remove
the cartridge.

The thing looks like garbage. Any experience with these or similar?
How much $ for a decent faucet these days? I haven't bought/installed
any such eqpt for many years.

Thx,
Will

It is garbage.
The faucet you paid $30.00 for years ago is now $80.00 wholesale for chrome.
HD and Lowes are nuts for customer satisfaction though. They will give your
money back, no questions asked.
Get your self a 80-90 dollar chrome Delta or Moen and you'll do much better.
Those faucets have the same guts inside as they did 20 years ago when you
bought your previous faucet. That in itself speaks volumes, and due to
their competitive nature, they probably both have lifetime warranties now.
Make sure you look for it. BTW. Galcier Bay and Price Pfister probably have
lifetime warranties too, but you'll wear yourself out using them. :-(
Also, if you want a finish other than chrome, plan on paying a good bit
more, otherwise you'll take home more garbage with a nice look to it.

HTH, Lefty