Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Post mortem on an IEC connector

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

whit3rd wrote:

On May 21, 2:59 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Obviously I've come acros melting/burning, starting from bad

connection
arcing , but not this amount of damage, so am requesting other
opinions.

Burning right thru the pcb for 1/2 inch around the L pin of the IEC,
melting
of the plastic of the IEC above the burning and even the linecord

plug

Yep, ring crack around a power solder connection, generates lots of
heat.

Possible. A victim of lead-free soldering ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_pest

Note that pure tin solder degrades below 13C. Yes that's right. And

turns
to dust.
Adding a little copper doesn't stop it but slows it some but not enough.

The EU Commission should be strung by their necks from lamp-posts for
being a
bunch of technically ignorant ****s. Why do they think lead was used in
solder in
the first place ? For fun ?

Graham

Just what I've been saying since they first mandated the hateful stuff ...

Arfa

This is a 1998 amplifier, made in China so conventional solder ? does not
look "volcanic" or tin-pesty dusty grey solder points on the boards.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England