Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen marc rosen is offline

Default Round table from one big plank - how big?

On May 21, 9:31*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
So I've got one big plank of walnut out of which I'd like to make a
round table. *I've determined that since the plank is 12x96 I have
1152 square inches of area, which equates to just over a 38" diameter
table, (ignoring the realities of loss due to saw kerfs and the
aesthetics of infinitely narrow strips.) *Now assume that I rip the
plank into 3 strips of 4" - what's the biggest diameter I can get? *Is
there any sort of formula I can use to see what my options are?
Thanks.

JP

Hey JP, (left arm is in a cast following surgery. all typing from
this point will be lower case)
i don't follow your reasoning very well. how thick is it? why not
cross cut it to 32 long, rip and edge joint tp 11 wide each, and edge
glue. you'd have a 33x32 plank which would produce an almost 32 inch
diameter table. the waste would be minimal compared to making the
strips you refered to and cross cutting and gluing stuff up.

marc( who still managed to turn a cocobolo pen tonight- post surgery-
to give to his doctor tomorrow when he removes the drain from my arm.
that cast had my left arm set at the perfect angle for holding the
cutting tools. what's that saying? " when life hands you lemons, make
pens". well, something along those lines anyway.)