Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryM JerryM is offline

Default Blowing out water lines with compressed air

On May 21, 4:52*pm, in2dadark wrote:

I also do the dishwasher. Before you call me on that one..) .. That
is a PITA. And the washing machine. That's easy, no tearing it apart.
Just run some antifreeze in it during a pumping cycle and done.
Hardest is the dishwasher. Got to drain it and drain that one valve.

No dishwasher or laundry in my place in Flagstaff. I split one gallon
of RV antifreeze between 1 kitchen sink, 2 bathroom sinks, 2 toilets,
and a bathtub - no freezing problems in 8 years. Just put a couple of
glugs down each drain and in the toilet bowls and tanks.

My biggest winterizing problem, not much I can do about it, has been
the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The thermostat in a
fridge is designed to keep the temperature in the fridge compartment
at the setpoint, typically 37 degrees or so. So when the inside
temperature of my cabin drops below that point, the compressor hardly
ever runs, and the temperature in the freezer climbs, letting
whatever's in there thaw out. So in the wintertime we don't leave much
but ice cube trays in the freezer. Took me a while to figure that one
out - I thought the fridge was bad.

Any of you out there that are refrigeration repairmen (I'm thinking of
you, Stormin) feel free to correct me if I'm horribly misinformed.

Jerry