Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double glazing - internal "snap-in" removal

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Hi,

Anyone know where to get a trim/bead removing tool for internally glazed
windows (uPVC snap in type).

Having had a very good search on the internet, I can't find such a thing.

I would guess it's going to be something like a bit of metal with a fairly
thin flat L shaped hook on the end of a rod.

Or is there a "proper" name of such a tool?

I'm not aware of such a tool -- fitters I used just used a
thin bladed scraper, and I've done the same on occasion.
You have to push the unit into the frame to loosen the grip
on the beads. Assuming you have gasket strips on the other
side, you take them out first to give you some movement to
play with. If you have glazing tapes, you aren't going to
get the units off them without destroying the tape, and
leaving a horrible mess to clean off the units and the
frames before refitting with new tape. With the beading,
start removal in the middle of the longer side. When you
have the middle out, you have to bend the first piece to
get it out from the ends. The rest of the pieces then come
out more easily.

Not totally happy with the fitting today - I'm going to pop the DG units out
and repack them, before I foam in the window...

You sit them on plastic spacers so the bottoms are lifted
well clear of the bottom of the frame. This is so water
which inevitably leaks past the weather seal can drain away
from the sealed unit bottom edge, and out through the frame
drains. If the sealed unit ends up sitting in a puddle of
water in the frame, it will not be a sealed unit for long.
You can buy packs of mixed thickness spacers from about 2mm
to 10mm from uPVC suppliers (and probably somewhere like
screwfix, although I haven't actually looked for them there).

If you have a uPVC door, the units and spacers play an
important role in bracing the door against dropping, by
heeling and toeing the bottom corner of the hinge side
against the top corner of the lock side, so the unit is
acting a bit like a diagonal timber you find on a slatted
timber door or gate.

--
Andrew Gabriel